Regularly at events we are asked what is the best way to check the tide times? There are a variety of websites and smart device app’s available which are free to download and use to check the tides. Shops, cafe’s and other harbour/marina establishments regularly stock paper copies of tide tables which are available for a nominal fee or a donation to the local lifeboat station.
Some lifeboat station’s also display the tide times on their external notice board’s. Many lifeboat station’s, Coastguard teams and National Coastwatch station’s publish tide times and safety advice on a regular basis on their social media channels. Both Ramsgate and Margate lifeboat station’s publish tide times.
We have included anumber of websites and ap’s below to give you an idea which ones are available.
When visiting the coast have a think about the following safety advice it could just save your life:
- Always carry a ‘calling for help device’ such as a fully charged mobile phone or VHF radio
- If you are going out on your own tell someone where you are going and what time you will be back.
- Wear the right clothing for the activity
- Check the weather forecast
- If you get into difficulty dial ‘999’ or ‘112’ and ask for the Coastguard
- Don’t enter the water if you get cut-off by the tide, call for help
- Heed any warning signs that are displayed at the coast or on beaches
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times as conditions can change quickly without warning
- If you end up in the water Float On Your Back until you get your breath back – Float To Live
Other useful links
National Coastwatch Institution