How To Make The Most Of the Last Weekend of Beach Lifeguard Cover In Thanet
This Sunday (6th September) marks the end of RNLI lifeguard cover across Thanet beaches. But, there are more than 100 beaches which will still have patrols, some for longer than during a ‘normal’ year.
Our Community Safety Team want everyone to enjoy the beach and coast, but here’s a quick reminder of those safety tips which could help save you and your family/friends from getting into trouble in the water:
- Whenever possible swim at a lifeguarded beach
- Always read and pay attention to the advice displayed at the entrance to the beach
- When visiting a lifeguarded beach locate the yellow and red flags and swim between them
- Always swim with a friend
- If you get into trouble, stick your hand in the air and shout for help. Float on your back until you get your breath back. Find more out about the RNLI’s Float to Live technique
- If you see someone in difficulty, don’t attempt a rescue. Tell a lifeguard, or, if you can’t see a lifeguard, call ‘999’ or ‘112’ and ask for the coastguard.
- Please adhere to your government’s safety guidelines regarding COVID-19 and respect social distancing at all times. Please consider whether you should travel to a beach and remember to follow guidelines regarding travelling only with your household.
- Leave inflatables at home and keep them for the swimming pool. Lifeboat and HM Coastguard call-outs this year have significantly risen due to people taking inflatables into the sea and getting into difficulty.
Here is a list of the beaches that will be covered in Thanet until Sunday (6th September)(taken from the RNLI website):
Post Code: CT10 3LG
OS Grid Ref: TR 3915 7117
PostCode: CT10 3PG
OS Grid Ref: TR 3992 7017
Postcode: CT10 1ED
OS Grid Ref: TR 3992 6869
Postcode: CT10 1NB
OS Grid Ref: TR 3990 6768
Post Code: CT11 8JD
OS Grid Ref: TR 3875 6490
Postcode: CT9 1XP
OS Grid Ref: TR 3506 7079
Postcode: CT7 9QR
OS Grid Ref: TR 2871 6971
Have a safe and enjoyable time at the beach! If you are into your social media please share #BeBeachSafe to help spread our safety messages as wide as possible. Thanks for reading!
Further useful references: